As a little girl, I remember seeing my grandma’s slips and petticoats hanging on the washing line to dry. ‘old-fashioned clothes‘ I used to think to myself.
But back then I didn’t fully understand nor appreciate their point, purpose or beauty. I saw ‘the slip’ as a sign of old age, and something NEVER to be worn by me if I could help it!
Today, I think a little (or actually a lot!) differently about them, and I hope you might too! If you’ve never owned a slip, it could be just what showing off your silhouette in a dress is waiting for!
Forget old fashioned…think classic 1950’s Hollywood starlet and get ready for your feminine curves to steal the show!
After all, what’s underneath it all, really DOES matter!
Good dressing starts from the very first layer – feeling good about what you wear under your clothes can make a HUGE difference to your confidence, poise and shape!
Because there are so many beautiful slips out there – form figure hugging and short to more relaxed, silky and long – there’s the perfect one just waiting to be worn by YOU! The slip used to be a forgotten piece of fashion history, but thankfully it’s starting to make a huge come back! So revive those classic vintage garments, or buy some brand new ones – and put them to good use today!
Why not add a bit of drama and wear a classic full slip as you lounge in your bedroom (pretending it’s your boudoir!). Suddenly all normal activities performed around your room, like blow drying your hair or making your bed, are instantly glamourised with the addition of a simple slip. The Queen of all slips, Elizabeth Taylor, would be proud!
Think about a slip as the foundation to creating a sleek silhouette. Slips are not ‘fuddy-duddy’ (as I’ve thought in the past) but rather functional and sexy, while still preserving our modesty (so no need to fear those awkward windy days anymore!). They aren’t too try-hard, they just do their job, making you look like the very best YOU there is!
The slip (even the simplest one) is a sophisticated garment, and oozes ladylike glamour – and on a more practical note, it also hides a multitude of sins! Beauties such as Catherine Deneuve, Marilyn Monroe and Brigitte Bardot all swore by them – and those ladies all certainly knew a thing or two about how to look GREAT!!
The slip used to be our ‘secret weapon’ to smoothing out and hiding any visible lines – and I fully encourage you to embrace the return of these little beauties in all their splendid glory
1. You know that dreaded VPL…that’s right…Visible. Panty. Line. But by simply wearing a slip it can help prevent this from happening, even to loose fitting dresses or skirts. RESULT!
2. Don’t you just hate it when you can see your tights cutting your mid-driff in half under your dress?! Try on a slip and you’ll instantly hide the outline and fit of underwear and hosiery – kind of like magic.
3. Cold outside? A slip can help add warmth and layering to our outfits, keeping you nice and snug, while also looking great in the winter months!
4. Feeling the heat? Slips can help stop garments sticking to you in the summer heat (thanks to new fabric technology that actually helps keep you cool!) And let’s face it, feeling cool while looking cool NEVER gets old.
5. Because slips encourages fabric to hang better off the body, they make your clothes look and feel more luxurious, and some you can even wear as outerwear if you’re brave (and it’s warm) enough!
All you need to do is identify what you want out of the slip – is it a smoother silhouette, to make a sheer dress more wearable or to smooth visible lines? Whatever it is, the slip really is the perfect base to get you started…what you do AFTER that is entirely up to you! 😉
So don’t give the ‘slip’ the slip – go forth and unleash your inner Liz Taylor!
Makeup Artist | Stylist | Founder of Beautyandtheboutique.com